Saturday, November 21, 2009

Apprenticeship

From my experience there are certainly opportunities for Freshmen to interact with upperclassmen and be in an apprenticeship position on campus. The source of these interactions can be as wide ranging as college dormrooms, RSOs, classes, or outside social experiences.

------------------------------------------

As a freshman I lived in a certified private dorm, and I was assigned a room with a senior and a suite including another senior. Although there experience in the biology curriculum did not directly apply to chemical engineering, they each had more than two cents to tell me about what I should do in college. The two of them were really a stark contrast of the kind of “wisdom” that passes down from older to younger U of I students. On one hand, my roommate would tell me of easy classes that I can take, encouraged me to spend less time studying, and generally offered advice on how to “work the system” at the university. On the other hand, my suitemate would talk to me about opportunities to get involved on campus to get help or give help, how I can better prepare for a career, and generally offered advice on how to be an active participant in making my college years fruitful.

-------------------------------------------

The difference in “wisdom” from these two sources was like night and day. Had I followed one set of advice completely, I would have gotten relatively little out college and aimed to just “glide” to graduation to get my degree, while not going out of my way to make friends or have healthy focused relationships. Had I followed the other set of advice completely, I would probably be even better off than I am now, with much accomplished academically and many connections made with people through reaching out as much as possible.

------------------------------------------

Herein lies my major concern with social apprenticeship in college- it seems to be very hit-or-miss. And I feel from the size and composition of the student body at U of I that quite a few sadly turn out to be misses. This may be an unalterable ill of American society though, that there are few motivated individuals with pure motives that want to help others to be motivated, too. Unfortunately, this is highly contagious in the college setting, when high school valedictorians can become “gliders” in four short years (my roommate with little motivation is an example of this).

------------------------------------------

Academic apprenticeship gained through such avenues as professional clubs and RSOs, although more narrow, can yield a more consistently positive influence, since the tie that bonds members has an underlying tone of fostering personal and professional growth and pursuit of goals. The problem for such a high enrollment university, though, is that many students may “slip through the cracks” and never reach out or be reached out to through these organizations. It seems that this is more of the hole we are trying to help fill as a class project. If through the avenue of high enrollment classes we can reach students typically lost in the shuffle and start them on the path of focused relationships that foster personal and professional growth and pursuit of goals as the professional clubs and RSOs do, it may effectively form a bridge for students.

------------------------------------------

Across the chasm that lies between a successful high school career with familiar faces and activities, and the “new” experience of life and study at a large public research university like U of I is where freshmen need refocusing. This can be effectively directed by older students that have experience and a drive to motivate younger students.

2 comments:

  1. Your diagnosis seems on the mark to me. Given the diagnosis the question is whether via more "intentionality" in the system we can change the balance and reduce the number of gliders. That's at least the starting point.

    There may be a second point about what the students coming directly out of high school expect. Do they expect the University to show more intentionality on this score or would they view that merely an a way to impinge on their newly found freedom. If they do expect it and then don't find it, what does that do to their world view.

    In other words, there are two possible ways to look at the gliding itself. One is simply - hey mom and dad aren't here to tell me what to do. I'm going to have a good time. That will happen regardless of the system, but it might happen in moderation rather than as a total capitulation.

    The other way is - hey the system itself doesn't make that much of a commitment, so why should I. Instead, I'm going to get mine. This explanation, if true, implies the behavior is driven by a rather deep cynicism. Then the question is whether the reform changes not just the students but the institution too, so the behavior is reduced as is the cynicism and justifiably so because the institutional commitment is there in a way transparent to the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I never thought about the potential that professional themed RSOs on campus had in helping students feel connected. I just commented back to Professor Arvan on this topic just a few minutes ago.

    Not being involved in the pre-health organizations because of lack of time (and to be honest, interest, I would rather be volunteering), I have been surprised that during med school interviews I have had the easiest and most enjoyable time connecting with both prospective and current medical students. In short, I believe common goals make it very easy to connect.

    Do you think that this has to do with values or something else? If something else, I am curious to what it could be. Let me know what you think.

    -Alessandra

    ReplyDelete